The San Diego Figure Skating Club (SDFSC) strives to provide a safe environment for its members and to protect the opportunity of its members to participate in the sport in an atmosphere that is free of harassment and abusive practices. U.S. Figure Skating and SDFSC will not tolerate or condone any form of harassment or abuse of any of its members including but not limited to, athletes, coaches, officials, directors, employees, parents/guardians, and volunteers or any other persons while they are participating in or preparing for a figure skating activity or event conducted under the auspices of U.S. Figure Skating.
SafeSport is a program adopted by the U.S. Olympic Committee designed to protect our members from any form of abuse and to provide a healthy environment for everyone involved. U.S. Figure Skating has mandated all member clubs implement policies which support the SafeSport throughout the U.S. Figure Skating organization. SDFSC is in line with the concepts and policies of SafeSport. Keeping with those mandates handed down by U.S. Figure Skating our club has implemented SDFSC Policies and Codes of Conduct for the club members, skaters, coaches, and parents.
Your membership with SDFSC will NOT be in good standing until you:
- Read the SDFSC SafeSport Policy.
- Read the Member Code of Conduct (same as U.S. Figure Skating Rulebook sections GR1.02 and GR1.03)
- Read, sign, and send the applicable SDFSC Code of Conduct(s). If your skater is under the age of 18, their parent/guardian must sign the Skater Code of Conduct AND complete a Parent Code of Conduct.
- NOTES: You only need to complete the Code of Conduct form(s) ONCE. However, read below for roles that require online SafeSport training every TWO YEARS and NCSI Background Check EVERY YEAR. If your role changes with the club, additional Code of Conduct form(s) may be required.
All forms of misconduct are unacceptable and in direct conflict with U.S. Figure Skating rules. The U.S. Figure Skating SafeSport Program specifically addresses:
- Sexual misconduct
- Physical misconduct
- Emotional misconduct
- Bullying, threats, and harassment
- Willfully tolerating misconduct
Certain roles that interact with underage members frequently will be required to complete free online SafeSport training and have a National Center for Safety Initiatives (NCSI) Background check. When required, go to the U.S. Figure Skating Members Only area at https://www.usfsaonline.org/ and click on SafeSport icon. This provides free access to SafeSport training, reduced cost NCSI background check, and ensures U.S. Figure Skating status is properly updated on compliance. ALL SDFSC members are encouraged to take the FREE online SafeSport training. For those without a U.S. Figure Skating Membership Account click “Non-Member? Create Account” link and once in the system click the U.S. Figure Skating SafeSport icon.
SDFSC roles that REQUIRE successful completion of SafeSport Training and a Background Check include:
- Team Managers and Chaperones
- Volunteers who could be alone with minor skaters (i.e. Locker Room Monitors)
- Partners (18 yrs & older) who will be with minors for Competitions or Testing
- Coaches and Assistant Coaches
- SafeSport Officer
- Test Chair
- Board of Directors
- Junior Board Advisor (over 18)
Please contact the club SafeSport Compliance Chair at SafeSport@SanDiegoFSC.org if you have questions or issues.
SDFSC Board of Directors will ensure the policies denoted in the U.S. Figure Skating SafeSport Handbook are implemented and reviewed on a yearly basis.